opsi cofunding projects
opsi is open source and free of license fees. Nevertheless the development of new opsi modules is expensive. So uib invented the cofinancing process as an instrument for financing the open source development.
The following modules are developed as cofunding projects.
This means, that these parts are only available for those customers who pay a contribution to the development costs.
As soon as the development of a co-funding project is refinanced, the component will be part of the free opsi-distribution and can be used free of charge. It will be open source then (as long as not prevented by technical reasons).
Description of the opsi extensions
Prices of opsi modules
Currently (April 2013) this concerns the following components:
- License Management
- MySQL Backend for configuration data (for larger installations)
- Support of opsi-clients connected via WAN.
- User Profile Management: Modify user profiles in case of using roaming profiles
- Nagios Connector: Monitoring of opsi-server functionality, opsi rollouts, opsi clients
- Installation at Shutdown: Installation starts at clients shutdown.
- Local Image Backup: Rapid client restore of student computers. For public authorities (e.g. schools) only.
Currently the following cofunding opsi projects are under development:
- Linux Agent: Automatic Linux installation.
- Scalability I: Performance improvements for large installations.
The following cofunding projects have been completed and are free of charge now:
- opsiclientd (Vista / Windows 7)
- Software on Demand (Kiosk-Mode): Approved software may be requested for opsi installation by the end user
- Managing hierarchical groups (Treeview): hierarchical groups for clients and product-groups
- Dynamic depot selection: Automatic allocation of the best depot to a client
up to 500 clients
|opsiclientd with support for Vista/Windows 7 and some additional enhancements||production||free||100 %|
|Software on demand (Kiosk-Mode)||production||free||100 %|
|License Management||production||2000 €||55 %|
|Support of opsi-clients that are connected via WAN||production||2000 €||48 %|
|MySQL Backend for configuration data||production||2000 €||79 %|
|Managing hierarchical groups (Treeview)||production||free||100 %|
|Dynamic depot selection||production||free||100 %|
|User Profile Management||production||1000 €||14 %|
|Nagios Connector||production||2000 €||10 %|
|Installation at Shutdown||production||1000 €||0 %|
|Local Image Backup||production||2000 €||0 %|
|Linux Agent||development||2000 €|
opsi-modules for installations with more than 500 clients have a graduated price scale.
As long as a cofunding project is not refinanced, the use of the component is restricted by the activation file
/etc/opsi/modules, which is protected against changes via electronic signature.
All the free parts of opsi will work without this activation file.
If you want to test the restricted modules with a temporary activation file for evaluation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.